Kelly

Default Lists - HELP!!

Okay I am new to excell bar drawing little spreadsheets to do my own financing.
I am currently setting up a sheet and need the users to be able to select
from a list of options only and not input thier own text - does that make
sense?
also i ahve 12 names on the list and one master with all on - would like the
data entered on to a names list to be automatically entered onto the master
or vice versa which ever is easiest.
sorry if this sounds jumbled but i am totally lost and this has to look
really hot for work!

regards

Kelly - England

saybut

Hi Kerry,

don't know a great deal on forms etc but thought I'd try seen as you
haven't had a reply..

This is the most simple way that I can see to do it, there's probably a
better way though.

If you put your list of names in the first column, make sure its got a
header too in the first row, just call it Names or something, and then
click one of the names, go to DataForms The list will then come up in
the forms window, you can scroll through them using Next and Previous,
and you can add names to the list by clicking New, then just type the
name in and press enter.

you need the forms box open all the time to view the list though. If
you want you can select the rows with the names in and hide them so it
looks a bit cleaner, when you open the forms box (Dataforms) you need
to have either the header or one of the names selected, so if the rows
are hidden you'll need to select the header.

Hope this helps, let me know if it does or not, I'll keep on looking
into it.

Mark. (also England)

--
saybut
saybut's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5949

Anne Troy

For your first need, try Data Validation:
I don't know about your second.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Kelly" wrote in message
Okay I am new to excell bar drawing little spreadsheets to do my own
financing.
I am currently setting up a sheet and need the users to be able to select
from a list of options only and not input thier own text - does that make
sense?
also i ahve 12 names on the list and one master with all on - would like
the
data entered on to a names list to be automatically entered onto the
master
or vice versa which ever is easiest.
sorry if this sounds jumbled but i am totally lost and this has to look
really hot for work!

regards

Kelly - England

Debra Dalgleish

You can use Data Validation to create dropdown lists of options. There
are instructions in Excel's Help, and he

It would be easiest to just have a master list, and keep all the
information on one sheet. Then, use filters or pivot tables to view the
data for one or more names. There's information on both topics in
Excel's Help, and he

http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html

Kelly wrote:
Okay I am new to excell bar drawing little spreadsheets to do my own financing.
I am currently setting up a sheet and need the users to be able to select
from a list of options only and not input thier own text - does that make
sense?
also i ahve 12 names on the list and one master with all on - would like the
data entered on to a names list to be automatically entered onto the master
or vice versa which ever is easiest.
sorry if this sounds jumbled but i am totally lost and this has to look
really hot for work!

regards

Kelly - England

--