Bernard Liengme

Default Mac vs PC

For a colleague teaching stats with Excel: does anyone have a list of topics
to help students with Macs working from an Excel book which talks only about
PCs?

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

JE McGimpsey

Don't know of any just for XL - to me, at least, there's not that much
difference.

There are certainly interface differences - many keyboard shortcuts are
different (but are listed in Help - and depend on which version), and
they are almost completely customizable in the UI in XLv.X and XL04;
MacXL has a contextual Formatting Palette that consolidates formatting
for cells, sheets, charts, etc.; MacXL has had a List Manager since
XL2001 (but XL03's isn't compatible); WinXL has a Task Pain; OS
differences, such as file paths, shouldn't be hard to figure out.

WinXL's Tools/Options menu item is the same as the Preferences menu item
in MaxXL.

For stats, XL04's stat functions share the improvement seen in XL03
(except XL04 didn't have the RAND() negative number bug), but previous
versions had similar problems in both platforms.

If your colleague is using add-ins to teach stats (other than the ATP -
in which case he/she should be fired), not all packages work on both
platforms.

For VBA OTOH, there's a significant difference: these MacXL/VBA Help
topics come to mind, as well as knowing that MacVBA is VBA 5.0, so VBA6
commands won't work:

Strategies for Developing Cross-Platform Solutions
Differences between Excel VBA for Windows and Excel VBA for the Macintosh

In article ,
"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

For a colleague teaching stats with Excel: does anyone have a list of topics
to help students with Macs working from an Excel book which talks only about
PCs?

Harlan Grove

JE McGimpsey wrote...
For stats, XL04's stat functions share the improvement seen in XL03
(except XL04 didn't have the RAND() negative number bug), but previous

versions had similar problems in both platforms.

Was XL04 not sharing XL03's RAND() bug due to XL04 being released after
the bug was fixed in XL03?

JE McGimpsey

In article . com,
"Harlan Grove" wrote:

Was XL04 not sharing XL03's RAND() bug due to XL04 being released after
the bug was fixed in XL03?

I don't think so, but I no longer recall the exact sequence. Seems to me
that the bug was noticed in XL03 around the end of December (2003). That
was during the XL04 Beta. I can't comment on specifics, but I was never
able to reproduce the bug on a Mac.