Sandra W via OfficeKB.com

Default zero in front of a number

I am trying to put a zero at the front of a number in a cell in excel, 03507
but it keeps coming out as 3507. I have tried to custom 00000 but then it
just goes to 00000 in the cell, can anybody please help getting fedup with it
now.
Dave O

The first time I tried this I formatted a cell as custom, with "00000"
(including quotes) in the Type field. Then I tried it without quotes
and got the desired results.

Doug Kanter

"Sandra W via OfficeKB.com" wrote in message
I am trying to put a zero at the front of a number in a cell in excel,
03507
but it keeps coming out as 3507. I have tried to custom 00000 but then it
just goes to 00000 in the cell, can anybody please help getting fedup with
it
now.

What do you mean by "it goes to 00000 in the cell"? I formatted a cell that
way and it only shows five zeros if I enter a zero. If blank, it shows
nothing.

Doug Kanter

"Dave O" wrote in message
oups.com...
The first time I tried this I formatted a cell as custom, with "00000"
(including quotes) in the Type field. Then I tried it without quotes
and got the desired results.

Why quotes?