OfficeXPUser

Default Office XP: Excel only opens in one window.

Although I open multiple instances of excel, they all show up in the excel
application window one at a time. This makes it nearly impossible to compare
spread sheets. I have updated XP/Pro as well as Office up to the latest
patches and nothing has resolved this. No info on this in office help. The
other applications of Office XP function normally. Any information leading
to a resolution would be greatly appreciated.
Dave Peterson

Maybe it would be better to open just one instance of excel and open all the
workbooks within that instance.

Then you could use window|arrange to see what you want to see.

--

Dave Peterson
OfficeXPUser

Thanks Dave. If that is the all excel can do then I will just have to live
with it until a newer version. Although this approach is very similar to
having multiple instances, it is not as flexible. This will suffice for now.
However an update to correct this, if that is possible, would be appreciated.

OfficeXPUser wrote:

Although I open multiple instances of excel, they all show up in the excel
application window one at a time. This makes it nearly impossible to compare
spread sheets. I have updated XP/Pro as well as Office up to the latest
patches and nothing has resolved this. No info on this in office help. The
other applications of Office XP function normally. Any information leading
to a resolution would be greatly appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

If you have multiple instances of excel open, you can still rearrange/resize
those application windows.

I find that the standard toolbars eat up so much space that I like one instance
better.

OfficeXPUser wrote:

Although I open multiple instances of excel, they all show up in the excel
application window one at a time. This makes it nearly impossible to compare
spread sheets. I have updated XP/Pro as well as Office up to the latest
patches and nothing has resolved this. No info on this in office help. The
other applications of Office XP function normally. Any information leading
to a resolution would be greatly appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi OfficeXPUser...

I want to do the same thing.. Running XP and Excel 2003, and not sure if
there's a setting that will allow multiple Excel Applications to open
independantly.

Did you find a solution?

Thanks

OfficeXPUser wrote:

Although I open multiple instances of excel, they all show up in the excel
application window one at a time. This makes it nearly impossible to compare
spread sheets. I have updated XP/Pro as well as Office up to the latest
patches and nothing has resolved this. No info on this in office help. The
other applications of Office XP function normally. Any information leading
to a resolution would be greatly appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
lee lee is offline

Dear Microsoft,

It's called Windows. Note the s at the end, which signifies plurality.
Screwing us down to one window is not what Windows (again, note the s) users
want. I.E. tabs are stupid for the same reason. I paid for Windows, plural,
and I want windows, plural, in Excel!

Just to be clear:
1. Multiple workbooks in a single Excel window will not do; that is still 1
window
2. Multiple Taskbar buttons (1 per each multiple workbook in a single Excel
window) will not do; that is still 1 window

Sick and tired of being screwed down,
Lee