Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bugjam1999

Default Help for a newbie trying to add hours and minutes :)

Hello all,

the wonders of the internet may just solve this problem which has my
office stumped...

from a entry gate system i have a huge excel spreadsheet with totals
per day of hours on site per employee... essentially as below on a much
larger scale.

dave I 01/01 I 7:15
dave I 02/07 I 8:20
dave I 03/07 I 8:20
dave I 04/01 I 8:30
dave I 05/01 I 8:20

the capital i's are inserted just to show where the next cell, so for
the mini data above - employee dave (cell one) was on site for 7 hours
and 15 minutes (cell two) on 01/01 (cell three), then for 8 hours and
20 minutes on 02/01.

"all" i want to do is add up the amount of time he was on site for the
entire week, in this case 40 hours and 45 minutes and display it in a
similar format in the summing cell, ie 40:45

i've tried summing up the data to the cell below, have formatted
everything in sight using the custom settings to hh:mm and have also
copied the list to another column using "paste special" to only
transfeer the values in case the program running the entry system left
some forumla hiding in the cells... the best i get is 00:00.

i'm out of ideas. I'm sure this is very simple, but it's got me!
surely microsoft didn't release excel without the ability to add times
up?

many thanks,

S.

--