ezuk

Default Automatic Sum by Category (SumIf extension)

Hello,

I'm making a budget spreadsheet. This is before-the-fact accounting --
you budget everything and _then_ spend the money.

Each line contains an expense description, and a category for the
expense.

I want to make a neat list of the total sum in each category.

This would be easy to do using SumIf, if not for one thing: I want to
make it easy to add new categories.

Meaning, if the user inputs a category which doesn't exist yet in the
"category list", it will be recognized as a "new category" and will get
its own cell with SumIf and everything.

Any ideas on how to implement it? I'm starting to think VBA is the way
to go... But I don't like it so much.

What do you think?

Thank you.

--