Siobhank

Default Using a drop down list -- Autojump to first letter

I have a spreadsheet with many many drop-down lists. Is there any way
for a user to enter the first letter of an option and automatically
jump to that option in the list?

The goal is to make this faster to use than (or at least as fast as)
writing it out, and right now, clicking on, scrolling through, and
selecting from each drop-down is a lengthy process.

--
Siobhank
Siobhank's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26133

Dave Peterson

If you created the dropdowns by using the Combobox from the Control Toolbox
Toolbar, then you can set a property (.matchentry) to do what you want.

The Dropdown from the Forms toolbar and Data|Validation don't support this kind
of thing.

Siobhank wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with many many drop-down lists. Is there any way
for a user to enter the first letter of an option and automatically
jump to that option in the list?

The goal is to make this faster to use than (or at least as fast as)
writing it out, and right now, clicking on, scrolling through, and
selecting from each drop-down is a lengthy process.

--
Siobhank
Siobhank's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26133
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=394611

--

Dave Peterson
Siobhank

Gotcha.

Ok, once I have a combobox from the control toolbar, how do I enter my
list values? How do I set matchentry?

--
Siobhank
Siobhank's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26133
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=394611

Dave Peterson

While in design mode (another icon on that control toolbox toolbar), you can
right click on the combobox and choose properties.

Look for linkedcell, listfillrange and matchentry.

and change style to fmstyledropdownlist--if you only want the user selecting
from the list (no typing allowed).