Debra Hills

Default help with filters needed please

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to filter a list (one column) by
Excel finding a particular word contained in a cell? eg: if each entry
on my list was a sentence from a book, could I ask Excel to find only
cells with the word "the" and show me only those lines?

If this makes sense to anybody, I would appreciate any help you could
give.

Thanks,
Debra

--
Debra Hills
Debra Hills's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23540

Debra Dalgleish

Select a cell in the list, and choose DataFilterAutoFilter
From the dropdown arrow in the column heading, select Custom
From the first dropdown box, select Contains
In the next box, type the word you want
Click OK

Debra Hills wrote:
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to filter a list (one column) by
Excel finding a particular word contained in a cell? eg: if each entry
on my list was a sentence from a book, could I ask Excel to find only
cells with the word "the" and show me only those lines?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Debra Hills

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! :)