goodpasture

Default odd formula help

I have cell A1 that is a derived number. I have cell B1 that is
dependent on some other calculations (including Cell C1).

My problem is that I want to take cell C1 and have it look at A1 and B1
and adjust to where it makes Cell B1 as close as possible to Cell A1 to
the hundredths or thousands precision.

I'm pretty sure this is going to take some sort of fancy statistical
function that goes a bit beyond my expertise with excel.

Thanks in advance!

--
goodpasture
goodpasture's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23898

swatsp0p

You may have more success getting a helpful answer if you give more
details. What do you mean by "derived number"? You also need to
understand that a formula can't change the value in another cell (that
would require VBA code). Also, a formula can't change precision (or
formatting -- conditional formatting being the exception), and
formatting is required to set the precision that Excel displays.

More info, please

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=393862

goodpasture

Well I was trying to be as simplistic as I can. it is a very complicated
spreadsheet. I was hoping to just look at 3 cells (A,B,C)

C is the only formula and the only action. Logically speaking I want C
to start at 0.001 (This will change the value of B). And then it needs
to look at the value of A and B. It will count up .001 and check each
time until B is not (in this case) less than A because the higher the
value in C, the lower the value in B gets.

--
goodpasture
goodpasture's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23898
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=393862

yarp

goodpasture,
Try using Tools - Goal Seek. Set cell B1 to the value you copy from A1, by
changing cell C1. After you get in cell C1 the result that brings you to a
state that A1=B1, then you can decrease C1 a bit. Also, you can format C1 to
show a number with 3 decimal digits.
I hope this helps,
yarp.