Gerry

Default Assign commands to function keys

The AA where I works swears up-and-down that she is able, using Excel
2000, to assign Excel function to the function keys (F1-F12). I would
like to move her to Excel 2003, but I cannot find this capability.

Two questions:
1) Is she correct? That is, does this functionality exist with earlier
versions of Excel?
2) Is it possible to assign Excel functions to Function keys in Excel
2003?

Thank you.

Gerry

Jim Cone

Gerry,

Maybe she is referring to "Excel shortcut and function keys"...

The list is actually incomplete, for instance ...
Ctrl + Shift + F12 displays the Print dialog box.
Ctrl + F12 displays the Open dialog box
Shift + F12 saves the workbook

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Gerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
The AA where I works swears up-and-down that she is able, using Excel
2000, to assign Excel function to the function keys (F1-F12). I would
like to move her to Excel 2003, but I cannot find this capability.

Two questions:
1) Is she correct? That is, does this functionality exist with earlier
versions of Excel?
2) Is it possible to assign Excel functions to Function keys in Excel
2003?

Thank you.

Gerry

Dave Peterson

My bet is your AA has some macros in workbooks that are in her XLStart
folder--or she has an addin loaded (tools|Addins) that provides this ability.

If you look at what's in that folder (or under tools|addins), do you find
something that doesn't exist on your pc?

If you upgrade her to xl2003, then xl will find the old XLStart and find that
workbook. (Personally, I like moving this stuff to the newer XLStart, though.)
And if it's an addin, you should be able to find it and turn it on once more.

If you upgrade by giving her a new/different pc, you'll have to find those files
and put it on the new pc (in the correct location) and maybe turn it on
(tools|addins)--depends on what you find and how you're upgrading.

--

Dave Peterson
Gerry

All,

Thanks for your help. Upon reading your responses, I knew that the AA
did not have the technical skills to pull off any of these. So, I dug
deeper and found that she runs a program called Macro Express that
globally defines function key mappings.

Mystery solved - thanks!

Excel option to store trendline's coefficients in cells for use Miguel Saldana Charts and Charting in Excel 9 June 20th 05 08:45 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Automatically up date time in a cell Mark Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 May 12th 05 12:26 AM
clock Wildman Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 26th 05 10:31 AM
Function Keys in Excel LPS Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 January 29th 05 12:32 AM