Bill R

Default Password encryption

I know passwords can be easily broken so what can I do to really protect
them. Is there a good program out that will totally protect the password in
my workbooks? I want to sell my workbooks without fear of them being disected.

Thanks.
JE McGimpsey

If you allow your clients to open your workbooks, they are more or less
defenseless (I've seen some pretty good layered defenses, but they all
fell to attacks that are publicly available, or commercially available
at low cost). If you build everything into a COM add-in, you have the
best (and pretty good) security you can get with XL. But short of that,
you may do better to sell them with minimal or no protection, and
develop a great relationship with your clients.

In article ,
Bill R wrote:

I know passwords can be easily broken so what can I do to really protect
them. Is there a good program out that will totally protect the password in
my workbooks? I want to sell my workbooks without fear of them being disected.

Thanks.

JE McGimpsey

See

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=238228

and

In article ,

What is a COM add-in, please?

cincode5

Bill R.

I feel your pain... I have the same dilemma in that I wrote a password
encryption generator (along with a few other nifty worksheets) and cannot
secure it from those those would plagiarize my work. Ive given it to
friends and family, but the hesitation to distribute it for profit has me in
a quandary.

To undo this end, Ive embarked down the path of teaching myself VB and am
in the process of re-writing my work into a windows executable. So far, Im
fairly happy with the results. I believe too youll find, (especially if you
can write a complex xls project worthy of selling), that VB(A) macros make
up most of the engine behind brilliant worksheets. Its only seems logical
then that it should be the final evolution of a worthy project that it
becomes a pure VB creation.

--
Regards...