stretch

Default Strange Personal Macro Workbook Behavior

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has come across this problem. I have an
extensive personal.xls file that reads into excel at startup with no
problem. The problem is that I'm constantly getting asked if I want to
save personal.xls upon exiting even when I do not alter my macros. I
can open excel and simultaneously close it with no steps in between and
get the following popup,

"Do you want to save the changes you made to the Personal Macro
Workbook? If you click Yes, the macros will be available the next time
you start Microsoft Office Excel."

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Ron de Bruin

Hi Steve

Maybe you have a Volatile worksheet function in the workbook

AREAS()
OFFSET()
CELL()
INDIRECT()
ROWS()
COLUMNS()
NOW()
TODAY()
RAND()

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"stretch" wrote in message oups.com...
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has come across this problem. I have an
extensive personal.xls file that reads into excel at startup with no
problem. The problem is that I'm constantly getting asked if I want to
save personal.xls upon exiting even when I do not alter my macros. I
can open excel and simultaneously close it with no steps in between and
get the following popup,

"Do you want to save the changes you made to the Personal Macro
Workbook? If you click Yes, the macros will be available the next time
you start Microsoft Office Excel."

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

stretch

Good thought, but I've ruled that out. The spreadsheet is clean with
no functions.

Dave Peterson

Have you recently upgraded your versions of excel?

Newer versions of excel like to calculate older versions when they open them.

Try saving the personal.xls file and see if you get that same message the next
time.

stretch wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has come across this problem. I have an
extensive personal.xls file that reads into excel at startup with no
problem. The problem is that I'm constantly getting asked if I want to
save personal.xls upon exiting even when I do not alter my macros. I
can open excel and simultaneously close it with no steps in between and
get the following popup,

"Do you want to save the changes you made to the Personal Macro
Workbook? If you click Yes, the macros will be available the next time
you start Microsoft Office Excel."

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

--

Dave Peterson
stretch

Well, that would seem to make sense, if I had entries in the workbook
that would require calculations. There's no calculations to be made.
I have done this though. I copied all of my modules into a new
workbook I called macros. Renamed the personal.xls to personal_old.xls
and macros.xls to personal.xls and problem's gone.

spooky!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Now if I can only get those trace dependent and precedent arrows to
show up.