Jibble

Default In Tools

In Tools <Options -any selection I make returns a !Warning "Can't access
directory (followed by usual directory and route).
Also, the AutoRecover is indicating it cannot find the (same) directory,
asking to check network connection,or (wait for it...) an instruction to go
to Tools <Options
and click Save...
Can anyone help please? Thanks in advance

Dave Peterson

There's not that many options under Tools|Options that need a directory/folder.

I saw a couple under the General Tab and one on the Save tab.

I'd start by looking there.

--

Dave Peterson
Jibble

Thanks for responding, Dave.
I guess I wasn't clear enough in my first description.
I had previously selected a Directory/folder to which Excel defaults when
opening and/or saving. I did this by using Tools-Options-Save and pasting in
the drive etc (e.g. and it has worked perfectly for months. I think it's sort
of elementary stuff.
I have today found out that our IT Centre has changed something. The
previous path used to read something like K:\Faculty of blah\School of
Blah\Student Admin - now we have something like \\DATA1\VOL1\DATA\Faculty of
Blah\....
So not surprising Excel can't find it.
However, I don't understand why it won't let me into "Options" AT ALL. As
soon as I click on any Options tab, I receive the warning message Can't
access directory "K:\Faculty of blah\School of Blah\Student Admin"
(understand why) but how can I change anything if Excel won't let me in to do
so?
Hope that all isn't too garbled to make any sense. Our IT dept doesn't
advise on particular pieces of software. Thanks anyway - much appreciated
that you responded.
Jibs

Jibble wrote:

In Tools <Options -any selection I make returns a !Warning "Can't access
directory (followed by usual directory and route).
Also, the AutoRecover is indicating it cannot find the (same) directory,
asking to check network connection,or (wait for it...) an instruction to go
to Tools <Options
and click Save...
Can anyone help please? Thanks in advance

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Ahhh.

I didn't see that you couldn't even get into tools|options in your original
post.

I think you have at least two choices to try:

#1. Create a folder on that \\data\vol1\data....
that matches the same name that you see in the message.

Then tools|options and see if it works (and change what you want).

#2. Open excel
hit alt-f11 (to get to the VBE)
hit ctrl-g (to see the immediate window)

type this line and hit enter (to change the alternate startup directory)
application.AltStartupPath = ""

Type this line and hit enter (to change the default folder)
application.DefaultFilePath = "C:\"

Now try Tools|Options and if you can get in there, reset those two folders
to what you want. (I leave the alternate folder box empty.)

#3. If those two don't work, maybe tweaking the registry for these settings
would help.

I found those settings (for xl2003) in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Options
under: AltStartup
and: DefaultPath

(11.0 means xl2003, 10.0 means xl2002, etc)

But be careful. Since you're working in the registry, you may want to back
it up before you do any changes. (You don't get a confirmation prompt when
you make changes here!)