Default rs232 with excel

Hi to everybody
I have a question: can I write in a worksheet data that the PC reads using
the rs232 port.
Are there programs for free? Need I to use Visual Basic, Pascal or Assebly?
TY

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

x wrote:
Hi to everybody
I have a question: can I write in a worksheet data that the PC reads using
the rs232 port.
Are there programs for free? Need I to use Visual Basic, Pascal or Assebly?
TY

---------------------

I don't believe this is an Excel issue. To do what you want would
require support of the operating system. If XP supports it, then Excel
is happy and doesn't really know anything about what kind of physical
network connection you're using.

You'll need to convince XP to look across the RS232 as a networking
cable to another computer. I suspect that's possible to do, but I
haven't touched RS232 in a lot of years. You'd be further ahead to use
USB if you could, simply because RS232 is slow by comparison.

Good luck....

Bill
Thomas Lutz

There are several ways to communicate through the serial port from
within Excel. One way is to write some very complex VBA code that
makes OS function calls to open the serial port directly (very
complex). Another way is to use a serial communications ActiveX
control like the MSComm32.OCX ActiveX control that ships with Visual
Studio 6.
Another alternative would be to use a 3rd party tool like WinWedge
from TAL Technologies. WinWedge is basically an executable program
that is designed to run in the background and feed incoming serial
data directly to other Windows programs. It also has the ability to
send data out a serial port directly from other programs. A tool like
WinWedge would probably be the easiest way to do simple serial I/O
from within Excel and in some cases you do not even need to do any
programming at all. For more information on WinWedge please visit:
http://www.taltech.com/products/winwedge.html