Paul (ESI)

Default I figured everything out except what "FALSE" does.

Okay, this is a different part of the same spreadsheet I mentioned in my
earlier post. For anybody who didn't read that post, a colleague and I have
to create a spreadsheet that uses several values, targets, and actual
performances to rate and rank supervisors based on the performance of their
employees. We were given an example spreadsheet and are somewhat lost about
what all the equations mean. I've got this one figured out except for one
thing:

=VLOOKUP($B$3,'Ranking Data'!$A$3:$F$13,6,FALSE)

What I have figured out: It takes what is in B3 of the current sheet, then
looks at A3 through F13 of the "Ranking Data" sheet to find the same thing
(for example, if B3 of the current sheet says "Meep," it will look for
"Meep," in Ranking Data). Once it finds the same thing, it takes whatever
value is in the 6th column.

What I don't understand: What is the purpose of "FALSE?" As always, any help
would be greatly appreciated.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy
Debra Dalgleish

There's information on the VLOOKUP arguments in Excel's Help, and he

Paul (ESI) wrote:
[...]

Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Bob Phillips

It is all explained in Help.

It means that it is looking for an exact match. True is looking for an
approximate match (and is the default).

--

HTH

RP

"Paul (ESI)" wrote in message
[...]

Paul (ESI)

All right! Thanks! This message board comes through for me again. For anybody
following along, I'll paraphrase the section of the web site that answered my
question:

If the lookup value is not found in the range of cells from the other sheet
to which you referenced it, it returns N/A. So, using my earlier example, if
the value of B3 does not show up in the Ranking Data sheet between A3 and
F13, it will return N/A.

--

Paul (ESI) wrote:
[...]

Paul (ESI)

Thank you very much! Both of you were a big help. I skimmed through the
office assistant's help but hadn't noticed the answer. I guess I probably
just accidentally skipped over it.