EXCEL formulae

Default EXCEL 2003 formulae

The cells are formatted to number or currency and the formulae =A3/A2
returned an error message stating that "The formulae you typed contains an
error". I have entered 2 numbers i.e. 100 20 in cells A3 and A2
respectively. However, If I type 100/20 it returns 5.
Bryan Hessey

The only way I could reproduce that message with the conditions you
described was
=A3'/A2

Can you do =A3 and =A2 etc?

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391661

Dave Peterson

Just a guess--'cause I couldn't reproduce your error messages.

I'm guessing that you've used the slash character in your windows settings as
something--maybe the List character???

close excel
Windows start button|settings|control panel|regional settings applet
regional options tab (in winxp), click customize

Look for Numbers tab
List separator.

If that's not it, poke around looking for slashes in that dialog on different
tabs.

If you find something that looks like it's the problem, make a note of the
original value (so you can change it back if it isn't the problem).