Maccas

Default Unknown Characters

I have inputed a business file that contains lines of code, the input
file is not an .xls file it is a .rpt file from a program called
HandyPak. I was told that i could input the file successfully, and it
did so except for one thing. It is showing this symbol □ at the
beginning of each row in the stock code. I simply want to remove this
symbol and i have tried using the built in replace function in MS
Excel, but the symbol does not appear.

Any Ideas???

--
Maccas
Maccas's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25735

Bryan Hessey

My first suggestion would be to highlight and copy the character, then
Paste it into the 'find what' of the Edit, Replace, and Replace-All
with nothing.
(Note, a small square as shown usually means that the character is
not valid in the font currently being used)

Alternatively you could copy the character and use it as a seperator in
Data, Text to Columns, (delimited) next, tick 'Other' and paste the
character.

If this fails, you could open the original file in Notepad to drop or
replace the character, but this would require re-inputting the file.

Finally you could open the file in a binary editor such as UEdit and
replace the character with a space, then re-input the file.

Hope this helps

Maccas I have inputed a business file that contains lines of code,