-   -   how to get a name just by typing a number? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/3743-how-get-name-just-typing-number.html)

bart

how to get a name just by typing a number?

I am doing my schedule using number for each of my employees. The problem is
that I know who corresponds to each number, but that not the case of my
employees or patients... so I have to retype a special schedule for them...
is it possible to affect a name to a number so that when I type 1 in a case I
will get Mark for example?
thanks for your help

Jason Morin

You'd need to create a table that lists all numbers and
corresponding names, and then use a VLOOKUP formula to
pull in the name. See these sites for examples:

http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/vlookup.htm

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA