confusded

Default sorting of text

I have two data sets, 4 columns each. The data I need to sort is in this
format-3D9.1234FGR444. I need to be able to get a list of matches between
the two data sets. Sounds easy, but I haven't found the correct way of
asking.
bj

what format do you need the list in?
one method would be to set a fourth data set

if you have Columns A:D and F:I as your data sets

in K1 enter
=if(Countif($F:$I,A1)0,A1,"")
and copy down and over to column N at the last data row
Select K:O copy and paste special values on top of K:O
Sort each column K through O individually and move the data to the same column