kookaburra

Default Transfer CSV file from Winzip to Excel

How do I transfer a zipped csv file to Excel where the zipped file contents
are too large to fit into the 65k+ rows in Excel?
I get the message "File not loaded completely" when I open the file. What do
I have to do to load the complete contents fo the file?
thanks
Glenda
Dave Peterson

Maybe you can open it in Notepad (or your favorite text editor) and save it into
smaller bite size pieces.

Then import each smaller piece into its own worksheet/workbook.

--

Dave Peterson
Bryan Hessey

You could open the .csv file in Notepad (I don't think Notepad has a
size limit), delete the first 65,536 lines (the data already loaded
into Excel), save the .csv file as Part 2 and open that into Excel.

You can probably locate the correct line in Notepad by a search on the
data shown in the last row of the partial load.

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390432

kookaburra

Thanks, Dave
It wouldn't open in wordpad (file too big) but I opened it in the Winzip
suggested text editor. Data of course appeared as comma delimited and, whilst
I copied it in sections and pasted to Excel, it is still in csv format. I
tried saving data as a CSV file and thought that if I reopened it would allow
a data conversion process. It didn't. Any ideas?
thanks
Glenda

kookaburra wrote:

How do I transfer a zipped csv file to Excel where the zipped file contents
are too large to fit into the 65k+ rows in Excel?
I get the message "File not loaded completely" when I open the file. What do
I have to do to load the complete contents fo the file?
thanks
Glenda

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

If you saved the smaller files as .csv files, then you excel should have
imported it ok.

But if you have a different list separator in your control panel|regional
settings applet than what shows up in those .csv files, you could have trouble.

For instance, I use comma to separate my fields. I have that windows setting to
comma. It works ok.

If you use a semicolon as your separator and the data contains commas, you could
have trouble.

If you have your data in excel already (each worksheet has just one used column,
right???).

You can use the Data|Text to columns for each worksheet and specify the field
separator.

That dialog will look just like the import text wizard.

kookaburra wrote:

How do I transfer a zipped csv file to Excel where the zipped file contents
are too large to fit into the 65k+ rows in Excel?
I get the message "File not loaded completely" when I open the file. What do
I have to do to load the complete contents fo the file?
thanks
Glenda

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

kookaburra

I had saved the files as .csv and, as you suggested, used Data/Text to
columns and specified the field separator - comma delimited. It worked!
Thank you so much.
Glenda

kookaburra wrote:

How do I transfer a zipped csv file to Excel where the zipped file contents
are too large to fit into the 65k+ rows in Excel?
I get the message "File not loaded completely" when I open the file. What do
I have to do to load the complete contents fo the file?
thanks
Glenda

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

kookaburra

Thanks very much Bryan.
The file ended up having approx 160,000 lines - wouldn't open in word pad. I
could use the view option "Internal ACSII Text Viewer" but wouldn't allow cut
and paste or changes. I copied and pasted by section into separate files
that I saved as .csv and then received advice (refer above comment) that I
should use the 'Date/Text to columns' option to convert from the comma
delimited format. It worked.
Thanks again