Michael Link

Default Text Search Macro?

Hi--

I have a large spreadsheet with a great deal of text. The workbook is shared
on a network of mostly Excel-phobic users who will need to be able to quickly
find text in the sheet. Of course, they could simply use the "Find" feature,
but I just KNOW that that will be a trap. I'd like to create a macro that,
when run, will generate a pop-up box into which the user will type the text
they want to find, and which will find the text in the sheet when the user
clicks "GO." (I'll connect up the macro to a big, friendly button marked
"Press Me to Search," or something like that.)

Is this even possible? I'm not Excel-phobic, but neither am I well-versed in
VBA. Any assistance would be most appreciated!
Dave Peterson

I'd just show them how to use ctrl-f (edit|find).

But you could pop up that find dialog via a button.

Option Explicit
Sub testme01()
Application.Dialogs(xlDialogFormulaFind).Show
End Sub

I think your users would benefit a lot more by showing them how to use
Edit|find. This can be used in so many applications that they'll thank you
later.

--

Dave Peterson
Michael Link

Thanks, Dave. You're probably exactly right. Perhaps I'll try the instructing
folks first and save the macro as a "nuclear option" of sorts. I guess I'm
just being lazy....

M. Link

Michael Link wrote:

Hi--

I have a large spreadsheet with a great deal of text. The workbook is shared
on a network of mostly Excel-phobic users who will need to be able to quickly
find text in the sheet. Of course, they could simply use the "Find" feature,
but I just KNOW that that will be a trap. I'd like to create a macro that,
when run, will generate a pop-up box into which the user will type the text
they want to find, and which will find the text in the sheet when the user
clicks "GO." (I'll connect up the macro to a big, friendly button marked
"Press Me to Search," or something like that.)

Is this even possible? I'm not Excel-phobic, but neither am I well-versed in
VBA. Any assistance would be most appreciated!

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Another subject you may want to spend some of your teaching time is showing them
how to use the filter arrows from Data|Filter.

(Most people who do anything on the web are familiar with the dropdown list. A
little more explanation and they'll be looking at just the data they want to
see.)