burnsbyrne

Default Show two rows as a fraction?

13% 0% 6% 100%: calculated from the 3rd and 4th rows
1/8 0/7 1/16 3/3: entered by operator
1 0 1 3: entered by operator
8 7 16 3: entered by operator

I have a spreadsheet with lots of cells like these. The top row
contains a formula that divides the numbers in the third and fourth
rows. The fraction in row 2 is entered by hand. The problem is that
the fraction is often not changed when updated numbers are entered.
The higher-ups who get this report have a very low tolerance for errors
made by other people. So, I am wondering if there is a way that I can
present the numbers in rows 3 & 4 as a fraction, still have them feed
the formula in row one, and get rid of row 2 altogether.

Any suggestions?

Mike

--
burnsbyrne

burnsbyrne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22153
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390289

swatsp0p

Simply format row two as Fraction (up to two digits) and enter this
formula in the cell A2 (copy across as needed):

=A3/A4

Does this work for you?

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390289

Trevor Shuttleworth

Mike

in Row 2, just divide Row 3 by Row 4 (=A3/A4) and format the cell as a
"fraction"

Format | Cells | Number format | Fraction | up to two digits

You will get 1/8, 0, 1/16 and 1

Or, alternatively in Row 2, use the formula: =A3&"/"&A4

This will give you 1/8, 0/7, 1/16 and 3/3 but these will be text values, not
numbers.

Regards

Trevor

"burnsbyrne" wrote
in message ...

[...]

burnsbyrne

Trevor and Bruce,
This is exactly what I need! And so simple, too. I admit that I never
have had cause to format anything as a fraction.
Thanks again, you might have saved my job!
Mike

--
burnsbyrne

burnsbyrne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22153
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390289

burnsbyrne

It seems I spoke too soon (maybe). I tried out the solution suggested
by Trevor and Bruce and found that the fraction format also reduces the
fraction. E.g., 5/10 is displayed as 1/2. This is not good for my
purposes because the fraction 5/10 means 5 patients of a total of 10
received a particular treatment. Obviously, reducing that fraction
will not work. Does Excel always force the reduction? Is there a way
to turn it off?
Mike

--
burnsbyrne

burnsbyrne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22153
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390289

burnsbyrne

I think I talking to myself here. Whatever works. I tried out Trevor's
second suggestion, =D20&"/"&D21. Since I do not need to calculate from
these fractions the text format is fine, and maybe even preferable.

Thanks again, guys!
Mike

--
burnsbyrne

burnsbyrne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22153
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390289

Trevor Shuttleworth

Use the second solution that I posted:

=A3&"/"&A4 which will show exactly what you want but you can't use for
arithmetic.

Regards

Trevor

"burnsbyrne" wrote