Andy Graham

Default Grouping Date By Month

I have a list of transactions all with different dates and I want to display
a pivot chart with a month by month summary. Trouble is I cannot get my data
across the top to display anything but dd/mm/yy format. How can I get it to
display just in a mm/yy format?
I tried to reformat the orignal data using the CUSTOM cell format but that
only changes the way the data is displayed as opposed to the data itself.
Adrian M

I would suggest you create another column and use the EOMONTH function to set
the a date as the last day of the month ( to see how to use the EOMONTH
function you can look at http://www.auditexcel.co.za/date.html for a video
clip). Now when you use the PIVOT table you will be able to pivot on the
actual date or a common end of month date. Hope this is what you were looking
for.

"Andy Graham" wrote:

I have a list of transactions all with different dates and I want to display
a pivot chart with a month by month summary. Trouble is I cannot get my data
across the top to display anything but dd/mm/yy format. How can I get it to
display just in a mm/yy format?
I tried to reformat the orignal data using the CUSTOM cell format but that
only changes the way the data is displayed as opposed to the data itself.

Phil

Hi Andy

Once you've got the dates into the pivot table, right-click on the Date
field's header, choose Group and Show Detail from the menu, then Group.
You should see a dialogue box that allows you to group the dates into
months, years or quarters - or all of them!
HTH

Phil

rmm30

It says can not group that selection. any thoughts?

--
rmm30

rmm30's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=8358
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390130

Roger Govier

Check that there are true date values in the complete column of data that is
being pivoted.
PT doesn't group if cells are blank.

--
Regards