bustanutti21

Default date fix

hi everyone.. can anyone tell me how to change the date format in
Excel.. I tried going to Format then cells and changing the format to
Date but it's not working... I'm pulling the date from an online
program and the date comes in as 20050507 instead of 05/07/2005...
If anyone can help me with this i would be oh so greatful... thank
you

--
bustanutti21
bustanutti21's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25542

Dave O

You can parse this in another cell using MID, RIGHT, and LEFT
functions. Assuming your 20050507 is in cell A1, the formula is
=mid(A1,5,2)&"/"&right(A1,2)&"/"&left(A1,4)

JE McGimpsey

Data/Text to Columns/Next/Next select YMD from the Date dropdown and
click Finish.

In article ,
bustanutti21
wrote:

hi everyone.. can anyone tell me how to change the date format in
Excel.. I tried going to Format then cells and changing the format to
Date but it's not working... I'm pulling the date from an online
program and the date comes in as 20050507 instead of 05/07/2005...
If anyone can help me with this i would be oh so greatful... thank

Biff

Hi!

Try this....

Select the range of "dates".

Goto DataText to Columns

Click Next, Next

In the dialog up near the top right you'll see: Column data format

Select Date

Then from the drop down select one of the formats that starts with a "Y"
(for year). Either YMD for year month day or YDM for year day month.

Click Finish

Biff

"bustanutti21"
wrote in message
news:bustanutti21.1spgaa_1122260705.1574@excelforu m-nospam.com...

hi everyone.. can anyone tell me how to change the date format in
Excel.. I tried going to Format then cells and changing the format to
Date but it's not working... I'm pulling the date from an online
program and the date comes in as 20050507 instead of 05/07/2005...
If anyone can help me with this i would be oh so greatful... thank
you

--
bustanutti21
bustanutti21's Profile: