Jacob_F_Roecker

Default Magic Cells

Anything beyond someone's comprehension is generally considered magic.
Recently I found someone else's spreadsheet that had "Magic Cells." And I
can't find out what they're called to do a good search for them to learn how
to use them.

The spreadsheet was set up so that it was almost like a split screen
horizontally. As you scrolled down the original cells that made up the
headers for each column continuted to travel with you so you new which
category you were in. Ideally when it printed it printed these same header
cells on each sheet.

I'm currently working on a 7 page like 6pt font document list of itmes from
an inventory and could use some "Magic Cells" to help me sort through the
spreadsheet.

Any help
Will be a great help.

-Jacob Roecker
Andrea Jones

For splitting the window to keep the headings in place look at
http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk/exsplit.htm . To get your column headings
printing on every page have a look at
http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk/exheadrpt.htm

Andrea Jones
http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk
http://www.stratatraining.co.uk
http://www.allaboutclait.com

"Jacob_F_Roecker" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

I like to use Windows|Freeze Panes to keep certain rows (and columns!) in sight.

Say you want to always see rows 1&2 and columns A&B.

Select A1 (so you can see it)
Select C3 (one row down and one column to the right of the cells you want
frozen)
Then Window|Freeze panes.

Then to see this same kind of effect on paper:
File|Page Setup|Sheet Tab
click on the "Rows to repeat at top" box and use the mouse to point at the rows
you want to see on every sheet of paper.

And you can do the same thing for the columns you want to see on every sheet of
paper.

--

Dave Peterson
Jacob_F_Roecker

Dear Dave and Andrea:

You guys were right on track. As it turns out I needed to do a combination
of EVERYTHING you said in order to get things working right. Do you realize
that you just increased my productivity by a whole lot!!!! WOW. This wont
just make life easier it's going to make work a lot quicker!!!

-Jacob

Jacob_F_Roecker wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

If you used a combination of suggestions, I bet you used Window|Split instead of
window|Freeze panes.

There is a difference in the way they behave. When you split the window, you
can scroll each window independently. If you like that, then use Split. (I
don't like it. I like freezing panes better--since I want those headers to
always be visible.)

Jacob_F_Roecker wrote:

[...]

Jacob_F_Roecker

Dear Dave:

When I froze it froze more rows than what I wanted and less columns than
what I wanted. It was an UGH situation. Then instead I split the cells
first and then froze the split. This gave me precisely the look I wanted and
works just fine!

Jacob_F_Roecker wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

It sounds like you had the selected the wrong cell.

And if you did Window|Split followed by Window|Freeze panes, then only the
freeze panes is in effect.