rwr2333

Default how do i transfer existing excel macros to a new computer?

I have Excel 2000 with some macros. I'm getting a new computer and don't
know how to get the macros transferred to the new pc.
Anne Troy

Likely, they are stored in your personal.xls file. You can search for it and
copy it to the new PC.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"rwr2333" wrote in message
I have Excel 2000 with some macros. I'm getting a new computer and don't
know how to get the macros transferred to the new pc.

Dave Peterson

Macros live in workbooks. So all you have to do is transfer all your workbooks
to the new pc.

But some workbooks will be in different spots. Do you have a personal.xls (or
..xla)? If yes, remember to use windows|search to find it.

In fact, I'd look for all *.xl* files.

Are you gonna use xl2k on the new pc or are you upgrading MSOffice, too?

If you're using the same version (xl2k), then don't forget your *.xlb (toolbar
settings), too.

Saved from a previous post:

I have a short list of things to copy/update when we changed pc's at work.

It's not complete, but may help you.

Word/Excel files:

FileName Use
custom.dic personal dictionary
*.acl personal autocorrect list
mssp2_en.exc personal exclusion dictionary
normal.dot default (for new documents) template
*.dot Any other templates you've made

*.xlb personal toolbar
book.xlt defaults for new workbooks
sheet.xlt defaults for new worksheets
personal.xl* personal macros
*.xlt Any other templates you've made

And don't forget any:
Local files (If you don’t store on LAN)
(Settings) Directories and other defaults (Tools|Options stuff)

====
I've found the easiest way to find these files is to use Windows start
button|Search.

Remember to look through hidden folders/files. And if I find multiple files of
the same name, I open excel (say), then make a minor change to that file. Then
search again. Then I can pick out the current version of the file.

That said, if you're upgrading from an older version of office, I wouldn't copy
the toolbar. (I would take good notes to help me rebuild this toolbar (maybe
even fix it up a bit).)

Same with the normal.dot (I'd let MSWord rebuild that--then just copy|paste any
macros into it manually.)

The *.xlt (book.xlt, sheet.xlt), I'd copy over, but then open and resave them
using the newer version.

--

Dave Peterson