Cindy

Default What is the command to replace a cell's formula with it's value?

What is the command to strip a cell of it's formula, leaving the formula's
value? I believe it is F2 something...
Mangus Pyke

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:37:02 -0700, "Cindy"
wrote:

What is the command to strip a cell of it's formula, leaving the formula's
value? I believe it is F2 something...

I always copy it, then go to Edit -- Paste Special and select Values

MP-
--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner

Mangus Pyke

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:50:03 -0700, "Cindy"
wrote:
Thank you! (Is there also an F2 command? It's been literally years since
I've used Excel and just getting back into it.)

If there is, I have not stumbled across it.

I usually Ctrl-C the cell or range, and then press Alt, E, S, V..

Habit makes it fast enough that I haven't looked for a shortcut for
this particular task.

Wouldn't mind knowing it if there is one-

MP-

--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner
Biff

Function key F2 starts Edit Mode. It's the same as double clicking in a
cell.

I use copy/paste special/values so often I put the paste values button on my
toolbar.

Biff

wrote:
Thank you! (Is there also an F2 command? It's been literally years since
I've used Excel and just getting back into it.)

If there is, I have not stumbled across it.

I usually Ctrl-C the cell or range, and then press Alt, E, S, V..

Habit makes it fast enough that I haven't looked for a shortcut for
this particular task.

Wouldn't mind knowing it if there is one-

MP-

--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner

Leo Heuser

"Cindy" skrev i en meddelelse
Thank you! (Is there also an F2 command? It's been literally years since
I've used Excel and just getting back into it.)

Cindy

Cindy

Another option:

Select the cell (range) and *right* drag it (cursor is four arrows) one cell
away holding the mouse button and then back to the original cell (range).
Release the right mouse button and choose "Copy only value to here"
(or similar). Tested in Excel 2003.

--
Best Regards
Leo Heuser

Followup to newsgroup only please

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Without regard to paste special and the F2/F9 approach, why would there not
be a function that returns the value of a cell for use in other formulas?

The only solution appears to be a script.

For example if you want to check for a value in a formula, or if you want to
cross multiple work sheets with a list controled index, or if you want to use
conditional statements based on the value derived by formula?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not sure I follow.
Let A1 = 2 and B1 =3
So C1 with formula =A1+B1 will return 5
I can test the value in C1: in D1 enter =IF(C1=5,"it is five", "it is not
five")
But you could mean something else.
Care to expand your question with an example?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP