Interview

Default Typical excel interviewing questions

I am about to interview a person tomorrow. The job rely heavily on usage of
excel and I am wondering what are the best way to check the candidates skill?
Bob Umlas

for starters...
ask him/her:
what's an array formula?
what is a pivot table used for?
what does ctrl/enter do if 1 cell is selected?
what's a userform?
What's a relative reference? A mixed reference? An absolute reference? Why
use these
what does workbook protection do?
how many sheets can a workbook hold by default; how many is the maximum?
What happens if the first character you type is a forward slash (/)?

"Interview" wrote in message
I am about to interview a person tomorrow. The job rely heavily on usage

of
excel and I am wondering what are the best way to check the candidates

skill?

Earl Kiosterud

Bob,

Good ones. As for the slash first character, it's only when it's specified
in Tools - Options - Transition.

It seems to me that if the OP (Interview) seriously wants to test the skill
of the applicants, he should have them take a qualification test, or hire a
good Excel person to do the interview. It's pretty lame to ask questions if
the interviewer has no subject knowledge.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Interview" wrote in message
I am about to interview a person tomorrow. The job rely heavily on usage

of
excel and I am wondering what are the best way to check the candidates

skill?

Dave Peterson

=vlookup() and =index(match()) are very useful, too.

You could ask about them, too.

Maybe what their favorite excel based web sites are and if they ever visit the
MS Newsgroups--it might be a way of finding out if they can find a solution for
something that they've never seen.