allan

Default how do i insert references (footnotes, endnotes) in ms excel?

I'm needing to insert some references or endnotes in an excel report to
explain details of a financial statement. Is there a way to do this easily?
For example, if I have 8 footnotes and realize I need to add an additional
one in the beginning, is there a way that all of them will change so I don't
have to change 16 things?
Dave Peterson

I think I would just put them on a separate worksheet.

Or do you mean you've added footnote characters to existing cells (from your
previous superscript question) and you want to keep them in sync.

If you do, then I think it's a manual effort.

(Excel really doesn't have all the features that MSWord does.)

--

Dave Peterson
allan

Yes, I was hoping to add a footnote character or symbol inside and existing
cell. I still haven't been able to superscript any characters, but I think
you're right about reference limitations. It will have to be a manual
effort. Still, I can't seem to superscript. For instance, I've followed the
instructions (format, cells, font, effects), and it will superscript in
"edit" mode, but as soon as I press enter (or the green check, or tab, or
select another cell...) it returns to normal. It remembers that it's
supposed to be superscript because when I go into "edit" mode (double click,
F2, etc.) it is in still in superscript. Do you have any suggetions??? I
even downloaded an add-in, but it didn't change anything.

allan wrote:

I'm needing to insert some references or endnotes in an excel report to
explain details of a financial statement. Is there a way to do this easily?
For example, if I have 8 footnotes and realize I need to add an additional
one in the beginning, is there a way that all of them will change so I don't
have to change 16 things?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John

But this really didn't answer the first question.
"how to insert references (footnotes, endnotes) in ms excel"

allan wrote:

I'm needing to insert some references or endnotes in an excel report to
explain details of a financial statement. Is there a way to do this easily?
For example, if I have 8 footnotes and realize I need to add an additional
one in the beginning, is there a way that all of them will change so I don't
have to change 16 things?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Excel doesn't really make a very good word processor. There are lots of these
kind of word processing features that aren't available in excel.

allan wrote:

I'm needing to insert some references or endnotes in an excel report to
explain details of a financial statement. Is there a way to do this easily?
For example, if I have 8 footnotes and realize I need to add an additional
one in the beginning, is there a way that all of them will change so I don't
have to change 16 things?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the number has to be in a cell that already has something in I create a
number with the text box, remove the border (format textbox, line color = no
line) and place it where I want it...