Bill Clark

Default Merging two lists

I need to merge two address lists with differing information. Some addresses
in list A are also in list B. List B includes a column with phone numbers
and A does not. How do I merge the two adding the phone number to the
correct address rows and keep all the other info intact?
JulieD

Hi Bill

so all the addresses are in list A, but list B has additional information
that list A doesn't have?

if so you can use the VLOOKUP to "add" the data from list B to list A
(assuming your spreadsheet is set up in a useable format)

e.g.
list A
.....A............B
1..Name....Address

list B
......A........B.......C
1...Name...Address...Phone

add another column into list A
and type the following formula (assumes list B is on sheet2, adjust as
necessary)
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$C$1000,3,0)

this looks up the name in column A of list A, finds a match in column A of
list B and then returns the phone number into the new column in list A.

Note: this assumes all names are unique (you might want to lookup on column
B instead of column A)
(to suppress the #NA error you can add the following
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$C$1000,3,0),"",VL OOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$C$1000,3,0))

once you've got the phone numbers in column C of list A, you can do a copy /
edit - paste special - values to change them from being a formula to a
value.

hope this helps
cheers
JulieD

"Bill Clark" wrote in message
I need to merge two address lists with differing information. Some
addresses
in list A are also in list B. List B includes a column with phone numbers
and A does not. How do I merge the two adding the phone number to the
correct address rows and keep all the other info intact?

JulieD

Hi Bill

thanks for the feedback, do post back if you get stuck.

Cheers
julieD

"Bill Clark" wrote in message
Hi JulieD:

This information hits the nail right on the head. Thank you for the
prompt
posting.

have a great day

Bill

"Bill Clark" wrote in message
I need to merge two address lists with differing information. Some
addresses
in list A are also in list B. List B includes a column with phone
numbers
and A does not. How do I merge the two adding the phone number to the
correct address rows and keep all the other info intact?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have a similar question about merging 2 lists on two separate worksheets(ws).
1st worksheet is for repaired equipment
2nd worksheet is for missing equipment.
3rd worksheet is a report listing contents of worksheet 1&2...easy enough
for me using =!'ws1'a1 but things get weird when trying to add to these list
or delete items on these list.
#ref errors when deleting...which I can work around by clearing contents and
moving the data on ws1&ws2
When I add rows to these list, the 3rd ws isn't able to report these because
of the formula I'm using...there must be a better formula for me to use right?

basstbone
--
where''''''''d my sig go to? :P

"Bill Clark" wrote in message
I need to merge two address lists with differing information. Some
addresses
in list A are also in list B. List B includes a column with phone
numbers
and A does not. How do I merge the two adding the phone number to the
correct address rows and keep all the other info intact?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

argh!! I can't edit my previous post!
current formula..
=IF(MISSING!A5=0,"",MISSING!A5)