John Gentile

Default #name? errors on spreadsheet

I'm trying to create a spreadsheet to automatically track Word documents'
date. I'm copying the date from the title page and pasting into the Excel
cell using Paste Special and creating a link to the text. It works when I set
it up, but when I close the spreadsheet and then reopen it the linking
process shows the #NAME? error. How can I correct this?

--
John Gentile, MS M(ASCP)
Phone: (401) 273-7100 ext 2046

Anne Troy

Hello, Providence. I go to Wilkes Barre. :)
Does the title have a bookmark name?
It appears to work for me, and leaves this link:
=Word.Document.8|'C:\Documents and Settings\Anne Troy\Desktop\Name of
document.doc'!'!OLE_LINK1'
Which is surrounded by curly brackets.
What is the resulting link for you?
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"John Gentile" wrote in message
I'm trying to create a spreadsheet to automatically track Word documents'
date. I'm copying the date from the title page and pasting into the Excel
cell using Paste Special and creating a link to the text. It works when I

set
it up, but when I close the spreadsheet and then reopen it the linking
process shows the #NAME? error. How can I correct this?

--
John Gentile, MS M(ASCP)
Phone: (401) 273-7100 ext 2046
Fax: (401) 457-3069
e-mail:
Laboratory Information Manager
VAMC Providence

John Gentile

Yes, I get a similar link, but the error only shows up after I choose to
update the links when I open the spreadsheet. I need these links to show the
dates the document was written and every time we change the date for a
rewrite.
--

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Anne Troy

What version are you using? I tested in Excel 2003. And I do think pasting
your link here might be helpful--you know how picky 'puters can be about
symbols and such...
*******************

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

John Gentile

Here is the link: =Word.Document.8|'\\VHAPROFPC1\LABORATORY\P&LM
POLICIES\General Lab\P&LMS POLICY 1 - SCHED CGS WKNDS, HOLID,
VACA.DOC'!'!OLE_LINK25'
I attempted to "bookmark" but it said that it could not parse the file.
--

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

John Gentile

OK, I think I've got it working now. The trick is to save the linked document
after you make the link. Now when I close out the spreadsheet and then reopen
it the update is accurate.
--

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

John Gentile

well, thanks for your help. You did point me in the right direction.
--
John Gentile, MS M(ASCP)
Phone: (401) 273-7100 ext 2046
Fax: (401) 457-3069