Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Nick

Default Advice pls, for suitable software for Server SBS

I am about to setup my SBS Server and 4 clients.
We have been using MS Excel to provide a daily spreadsheet of the days
events and future schedules on a "live" basis. (a kind of diary)
Up until now, we have been using our workstations without a network, and
have had to nominate one machine so we can all access the excel file.
The line of work we are in, means we need to constantly update the
spreadsheet, as things change during the course of the day.
Now, we are migrating over to a network, with the assumption that the server
will be the workhorse, handling the changes to the file.
I have been told that excel isn't a "Network friendly" application, in that
it will not handle multi users accessing and amending the same file 'on the
fly'.

If we have the file placed on the server, and more than one person makes
changes independently to the file at the same time, will Excel know in which
order the changes were made?
Having got use to using excel, we are hoping this will work.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.