Chad Wethington

Default Sum range updating

On worksheet 2 I am trying to use the sum function to calculate a range of
cells in a column on worksheet 1. My problem is that when I insert a row
within that sum range it expandes the formula. For example the formula
before the inserted row would be =SUM('worksheet 1'!H8:H88), but after I
insert the row it changes the formula to =SUM('worksheet 1'!H8:H89). I don't
want it to do that. I want it to keep the exact range that I define in the
first place regardless wether I insert or delete rows on worksheet 1. Is
there a way to do this?

TIA!
Chad Wethington
VoG via OfficeKB.com

=SUM('worksheet 1'!H$8:H$88)

Anne Troy

Sorry. I don't think you can have the best of both worlds. You could try
naming the range H8:H88 to something like MyRange, then =Sum(MyRange), but
if you insert rows, you must insert them within the range for them to stick.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Chad Wethington" wrote in
message ...
That seems to sum the intire column and I want to always sum is the rows
between 8 and 88.

Chad Wethington

"Anne Troy" wrote:

Chad, why don't you try =SUM('worksheet 1'!H:H)
?
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Chad Wethington" <Chad wrote in
message ...
On worksheet 2 I am trying to use the sum function to calculate a

range of
cells in a column on worksheet 1. My problem is that when I insert a

row
within that sum range it expandes the formula. For example the

formula
before the inserted row would be =SUM('worksheet 1'!H8:H88), but after

insert the row it changes the formula to =SUM('worksheet 1'!H8:H89).

don't
want it to do that. I want it to keep the exact range that I define

in
the
first place regardless wether I insert or delete rows on worksheet 1.

Is
there a way to do this?

TIA!
Chad Wethington

Chad Wethington

I had tried that, but i thought I would try it again. It still changes the
formula.

Thanks though

Chad Wethington

"VoG via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

=SUM('worksheet 1'!H$8:H$88)

Odie

Here is another solution:
=SUM(INDIRECT(C1,TRUE):(INDIRECT(C2,TRUE)))

cell C1 ='worksheet 1'!H8
cell C2 ='worksheet 1'!H88

Hope this helps

"Chad Wethington" wrote:

On worksheet 2 I am trying to use the sum function to calculate a range of
cells in a column on worksheet 1. My problem is that when I insert a row
within that sum range it expandes the formula. For example the formula
before the inserted row would be =SUM('worksheet 1'!H8:H88), but after I
insert the row it changes the formula to =SUM('worksheet 1'!H8:H89). I don't
want it to do that. I want it to keep the exact range that I define in the
first place regardless wether I insert or delete rows on worksheet 1. Is
there a way to do this?

TIA!
Chad Wethington

Chad Wethington

I have put that formula in, but get #REF!. Here is the exact formula I
entered =SUM(INDIRECT('Sheet Sign & Post Summary'!H8,TRUE):(INDIRECT('Sheet
Sign & Post Summary'!H88,TRUE))). Is there a syntax error?

Chad Wethington

"Chad Wethington" wrote:

On worksheet 2 I am trying to use the sum function to calculate a range of
cells in a column on worksheet 1. My problem is that when I insert a row
within that sum range it expandes the formula. For example the formula
before the inserted row would be =SUM('worksheet 1'!H8:H88), but after I
insert the row it changes the formula to =SUM('worksheet 1'!H8:H89). I don't
want it to do that. I want it to keep the exact range that I define in the
first place regardless wether I insert or delete rows on worksheet 1. Is
there a way to do this?

TIA!
Chad Wethington

Odie

INDIRECT looks at the value of cell you specify "C1" and uses that value as a
cell reference
So

=SUM(INDIRECT(C1,TRUE):(INDIRECT(C2,TRUE)))

value of C1 would = 'Sheet Sign & Post Summary'!H8
value of C2 would = 'Sheet Sign & Post Summary'!H88

"Chad Wethington" wrote:

On worksheet 2 I am trying to use the sum function to calculate a range of
cells in a column on worksheet 1. My problem is that when I insert a row
within that sum range it expandes the formula. For example the formula
before the inserted row would be =SUM('worksheet 1'!H8:H88), but after I
insert the row it changes the formula to =SUM('worksheet 1'!H8:H89). I don't
want it to do that. I want it to keep the exact range that I define in the
first place regardless wether I insert or delete rows on worksheet 1. Is
there a way to do this?

TIA!
Chad Wethington

Anne Troy

Naming ranges:
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Chad Wethington" wrote in
message ...

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Debra Dalgleish

You're welcome! There's a bit more information in the following MSKB
article:

How to force Excel to always reference the same cell
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=214143

Chad Wethington wrote:
This is exactly what I needed.

Thanks very Much!