Allan

Default how do I increment a numbering system in excel

I wish to set up a Purchase Order system using Excel and i would like the PO
number to automatically increment. Can anyone pleaseadvise me how to do this?
Norman Jones

Hi Allan,

See J.E. McGimpsey's suggestions at:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html

---
Regards,
Norman

"Allan" wrote in message
I wish to set up a Purchase Order system using Excel and i would like the
PO
number to automatically increment. Can anyone pleaseadvise me how to do
this?

Allan

Hi Norman

Sorry but I do not fully understand the macro.

I have an Excel wookbook and in worksheet named "Sheet1" in cell I6 I wish
to insert an new order number each time the workbook is opened that is the
last PO number +1.

I cannot see what to do with the link that you kindly sent to me.

Can you help me further?
Cheers
Allan

"Allan" wrote in message
I wish to set up a Purchase Order system using Excel and i would like the
PO
number to automatically increment. Can anyone pleaseadvise me how to do
this?

Norman Jones

Hi Allan,

If you are unfamiliar with macros, see the notes by JE McGimpsey on another
page of his site:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/index.html#usingvba

Also see David McRitchie's 'Getting Started With Macros And User Defined
Functions at:

If you are still experiencing problems, post back.

---
Regards,
Norman

"Allan" wrote in message
I wish to set up a Purchase Order system using Excel and i would like
the
PO
number to automatically increment. Can anyone pleaseadvise me how to do
this?

Allan

Hi Norman

With your assistance I have solved the problem.
Many Thanks
Allan

"Allan" wrote:

I wish to set up a Purchase Order system using Excel and i would like the PO
number to automatically increment. Can anyone pleaseadvise me how to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Norman,
I am working with the VBA code that you've refered many people to and it
kinda works.
The date function works however the sequential numbering is not working.
I've looked at the code over and over again and there are no errors according
to the editor.

I'm using Excel 2000 and trying to create my own invoice template.

below is the code i'm using.

Thank you

Ken

Sub INVOICE_NUMBER()
Const sAPPLICATION As String = "Excel"
Const sSECTION As String = "Invoice"
Const sKEY As String = "Invoice_key"
Const nDEFAULT As Long = 1&
Dim nNumber As Long

With ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Invoice")
With .Range("E3")
If IsEmpty(.Value) Then
.Value = Date
.NumberFormat = "dd mmm yyyy"
End If
End With
With .Range("E4")
If IsEmpty(.Value) Then
nNumber = GetSetting(sAPPLICATION, sSECTION, sKEY,
nDEFAULT)
.NumberFormat = "@"
.Value = Format(nNumber, "0000")
SaveSetting sAPPLICATION, sSECTION, sKEY, nNumber + 1&
End If
End With
End With

"Allan" wrote in message
I wish to set up a Purchase Order system using Excel and i would like
the
PO
number to automatically increment. Can anyone pleaseadvise me how to do
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave,
All that comes up in cell E4 is a blank.
is there something I did wrong with the coding?

Thanks

Ken

"Allan" wrote in message
I wish to set up a Purchase Order system using Excel and i would like
the
PO
number to automatically increment. Can anyone pleaseadvise me how to do
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The code worked fine for me.

You are looking at E4 of the Invoice worksheet, right?

In JE's code, his procedure was named Workbook_Open (and that is located behind
the ThisWorkbook module).

That means that each time this workbook was opened, the code would run. If the
cell was empty (B1 in JE's code, E4 in yours), then that cell will get the value
of what's found in the registry plus 1.

Since you renamed the procedure (and I assume that you moved it to a general
module), how does your code get run?

Do you have a button on the worksheet that runs the code?