-   -   Formula displays does not calculate (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/3432-formula-displays-does-not-calculate.html)

Neil Bhandar

Formula displays does not calculate

Hello:

I just typed a formula in a cell and it displays =A4+J13 (the same formula
calculates fine in a different cell), instead of claculating the value. Both
A4 and J13 contain numeric data. I try Ctrl+~ to toggle and chk if full
formula mode was ON? but that did not help either.

I also tried looking for feedback through the formula evaluation utility in
Excel, no help there either, it says cell being evaluated contains a constant?

Your help is appreciated

Norman Jones

Hi Neil,

Perhaps the cell is formatted as text?

---
Regards,
Norman

"Neil Bhandar" <Neil wrote in message
Hello:

I just typed a formula in a cell and it displays =A4+J13 (the same formula
calculates fine in a different cell), instead of claculating the value.
Both
A4 and J13 contain numeric data. I try Ctrl+~ to toggle and chk if full
formula mode was ON? but that did not help either.

I also tried looking for feedback through the formula evaluation utility
in
Excel, no help there either, it says cell being evaluated contains a
constant?

Your help is appreciated

Neil Bhandar

Norman,

Thanks for the suggestion, I already chked that. Unformulately the cells are
all numeric. Any other ideas?

Rgds,
-Neil

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi Neil,

Perhaps the cell is formatted as text?

---
Regards,
Norman

"Neil Bhandar" <Neil wrote in message
Hello:

I just typed a formula in a cell and it displays =A4+J13 (the same formula
calculates fine in a different cell), instead of claculating the value.
Both
A4 and J13 contain numeric data. I try Ctrl+~ to toggle and chk if full
formula mode was ON? but that did not help either.

I also tried looking for feedback through the formula evaluation utility
in
Excel, no help there either, it says cell being evaluated contains a
constant?

Your help is appreciated

Jason Morin

No, Norman is asking if the formula cell is formatted as
text. Delete the contents of the formula cell, format it
as General, and then re-enter the formula.

Jason

wrote in message

Hello:

I just typed a formula in a cell and it displays

=A4+J13 (the same formula
calculates fine in a different cell), instead of

claculating the value.
Both
A4 and J13 contain numeric data. I try Ctrl+~ to

toggle and chk if full
formula mode was ON? but that did not help either.

I also tried looking for feedback through the

formula evaluation utility
in
Excel, no help there either, it says cell being

evaluated contains a
constant?

Your help is appreciated

.

Dave Peterson

Or just format the cell as general, then hit F2, then enter.

--

Dave Peterson