Lisa Peterson

Default filter birthday's by month in Excel

I have tried the above by auto filtering, then custom filter, however when i
type for example ??/07/?? or **/07/** nothing works. Could you please tell
me how to filter birthday's by month as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Lisa Peterson
ScottO

I don't know a way to do it directly. As a work-around, you could add a
column and fill it down with the formula (assuming the dates are in ColA,
starting at A2) =month(A2).
Then filter the database based on the new column.
Rgds,
ScottO

"Lisa Peterson" <Lisa wrote in message
| I have tried the above by auto filtering, then custom filter, however when
| type for example ??/07/?? or **/07/** nothing works. Could you please
tell
| me how to filter birthday's by month as soon as possible.
|
| Kind regards,
|
| Lisa Peterson

Andrea Jones

If your birthdays are in column B, for example, type the formula
'=MONTH(B2)=7' (replace B2 with the reference of the top data cell in your
birthday date column) in a cell to the right of your data, this cell must
have a blank cell above it. Click on Data - Filter - Advanced Filter, set
the top box to your range of data to be filtered and the second box to the
cell containing the formula and the blank cell above (e.g. F1:F2). When you
click OK the list should be filtered. Click on Data - Filter - Show All to
remove the filter.

See http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk/exfilter.htm for more on using Advanced
Filters.

Andrea Jones
http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk
http://www.stratatraining.co.uk
http://www.allaboutclait.com

"Lisa Peterson" wrote:

I have tried the above by auto filtering, then custom filter, however when i
type for example ??/07/?? or **/07/** nothing works. Could you please tell
me how to filter birthday's by month as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Lisa Peterson

Dave Peterson

I'd use a helper column full of formulas.

If the dates are in column A:

=text(a2,"mmddyyyy")

and drag down.

Then sort by that column. It'll sort by month, day, and finally year.

ps. Are you my sister-in-law?

--

Dave Peterson