Jeffry

Default What is a shortcut menu?

Excel 2002 help on filling a series of numbers refers to "Use the Series
command on the shortcut menu". Nowhere are the series command nor shorcut
menu defined. Further, all I can do is copy a number instead of doing a
series. Only copy cells is not grayed out on the popup menu from a right
click or on the Edit, Fill menu from the toolbar.

I have 1 in the first cell, 2 in the second, grab the handle and drag, and
cannot fill a series regardless of any key is used or not. This worked on
Friday and the previous year.
Bernard Liengme

You must select a range of cells first.
Type 1 in A1; select A1:A20, use Edit|Fill|Down
or
Type 1 in A1; select A1:A20, use Edit|Fill|Series and type 20 in Stop Value
or
type 5 in B1 and 10 in B2; select B1:B2 and move mouse point over 'fill
handle' - solid square in lower right corner of B2; pull this down to B10
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Jeffry" wrote in message
Excel 2002 help on filling a series of numbers refers to "Use the Series
command on the shortcut menu". Nowhere are the series command nor shorcut
menu defined. Further, all I can do is copy a number instead of doing a
series. Only copy cells is not grayed out on the popup menu from a right
click or on the Edit, Fill menu from the toolbar.

I have 1 in the first cell, 2 in the second, grab the handle and drag, and
cannot fill a series regardless of any key is used or not. This worked on
Friday and the previous year.

Jeffry

That was what I tried and did not work. Found out I had Autofilter on;
turned it off and it worked properly. However, which menu is the one
referred to as the shortcut menu? Is it the one in the dropdown from the
toolbar, or the one you get with a right mouse click and drag on the handle,
or either?

"Jeffry" wrote in message
Excel 2002 help on filling a series of numbers refers to "Use the Series
command on the shortcut menu". Nowhere are the series command nor shorcut
menu defined. Further, all I can do is copy a number instead of doing a
series. Only copy cells is not grayed out on the popup menu from a right
click or on the Edit, Fill menu from the toolbar.

I have 1 in the first cell, 2 in the second, grab the handle and drag, and
cannot fill a series regardless of any key is used or not. This worked on
Friday and the previous year.

Gord Dibben

Jeffry

Enter 1 in A1.

Right-click on the fill handle(bottom right corner of cell) of A1 and drag
down a few rows.

Release the button and you will get a "Fill" shortcut menu with choices to
"copy cells", "fill series" and a few other depending upon the type of data
you are dragging.

Enter a date in A1, drag down and see the fill options change.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP