Nick Turner

Default Turn off automatic date formatting?

Hi

Is it possible to turn off the automatic formating of certain cell entries
to dates.

For example if I type in 6-10 (meaning six to ten), Excel presumes a date
was entered and 6/10/2005 is entered and displayed as 6-Oct.

An other example is 04/05 (meaning the financial year 2004/05), excel
presumes a date and enters 4/05/2005 and displays 4-May.

I know its possible to enter these values other ways (eg
=concatenate("6-10")), but is there a way to "turn off" this automatic coding
into a date.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
akk

hi

Format the cell / range (right click, format cells) to
text before you type in the data. Then it would not chnage
to date format. Another way is to be precede the data with
a ' (apostrophe) in which case it is formatted as text.

Is it possible to turn off the automatic formating of

certain cell entries
to dates.

For example if I type in 6-10 (meaning six to ten), Excel

presumes a date
was entered and 6/10/2005 is entered and displayed as 6-

Oct.

An other example is 04/05 (meaning the financial year

2004/05), excel
presumes a date and enters 4/05/2005 and displays 4-May.

I know its possible to enter these values other ways (eg
=concatenate("6-10")), but is there a way to "turn off"

this automatic coding
into a date.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
.

Biff

Hi!

Unfortunately, you can't turn off that lovely feature that
MS decided helps you!

Preceed those type of enties with an apostrophie '

'6-10
'04/05

or preformat the cells as TEXT.

Biff