CShannon

Default How do I copy a formula/paste w/o losing the cell content?

I have a formula such as "=sum(d34+d35)", I decided to move the location, but
when I move the location the formula is now "=sum(d31+d31). I would like to
move the first formula anywhere on the spreadsheet w/o it being changed. How
do you do that? Is it an absolute value or something like that?
Anne Troy

Yes. The formula must be written as =sum($d$34+$d$35)
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"CShannon" wrote in message
I have a formula such as "=sum(d34+d35)", I decided to move the location,

but
when I move the location the formula is now "=sum(d31+d31). I would like

move the first formula anywhere on the spreadsheet w/o it being changed.

How
do you do that? Is it an absolute value or something like that?

RagDyer

OR,
Select the entire formula in the formula bar,
Right click and choose "COPY",
Hit <Enter,
And paste anywhere you wish.
--
HTH,

RD

news:29ed$42bcc1ba$97c5108d$28773@allthenewsgroups .com...

"CShannon" wrote in message
I have a formula such as "=sum(d34+d35)", I decided to move the

location,
but
when I move the location the formula is now "=sum(d31+d31). I would

like
move the first formula anywhere on the spreadsheet w/o it being changed.

How
do you do that? Is it an absolute value or something like that?

Fred

Point of information:

Strictly speaking your formula is incorrect, =D34+D35 would give you the
same answer. SUM() is intended for ranges eg =SUM(A1:A199). As mentioned
elsewhere if you want to copy this formula anywhere in the spreadsheet but
still sum the same values you must use absolute addresses.

"CShannon" wrote:

I have a formula such as "=sum(d34+d35)", I decided to move the location, but
when I move the location the formula is now "=sum(d31+d31). I would like to
move the first formula anywhere on the spreadsheet w/o it being changed. How
do you do that? Is it an absolute value or something like that?

Dave Peterson

Or
=sum($d$34:$d$35)
or
=sum($d$34,$d$35)
or
=$d$34+$d$35

(I wouldn't use the + inside the =sum() function.)

But I bet your real point was about using absolute references.