#1   Report Post  
Old January 6th 05, 05:17 PM
Mike R
 
Posts: n/a
Default Formating h:mm AM/PM

I have a time sheet that requires a space be enter between the time and AM or
PM, 1:00 PM instead of 1:00PM. Entery without the space gives "#Value!" in
the destination cell. Is there a way of formating this so as the person doing
data entery can omit the space and yet the space shows after they hit enter,
or not there after they hit enter? Does it matter? I have tried formatting
without the space through custom formatting and that does not seem to change
anything. (xl2000 on xp)



  #2   Report Post  
Old January 6th 05, 07:41 PM
Ron Rosenfeld
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:17:08 -0800, Mike R
wrote:

I have a time sheet that requires a space be enter between the time and AM or
PM, 1:00 PM instead of 1:00PM. Entery without the space gives "#Value!" in
the destination cell. Is there a way of formating this so as the person doing
data entery can omit the space and yet the space shows after they hit enter,
or not there after they hit enter? Does it matter? I have tried formatting
without the space through custom formatting and that does not seem to change
anything. (xl2000 on xp)


Excel date and time formats only alter how an entry is *displayed*. They have
no effect on how an entry is *entered*.

You will need a VB solution to do what you want; or you could use data
validation to ensure proper entries.


--ron
  #3   Report Post  
Old January 7th 05, 12:05 AM
Mike R
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks for your reply Ron I appreciate it. At least now I have the direction
that I need. Thanks again!!

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:17:08 -0800, Mike R
wrote:

I have a time sheet that requires a space be enter between the time and AM or
PM, 1:00 PM instead of 1:00PM. Entery without the space gives "#Value!" in
the destination cell. Is there a way of formating this so as the person doing
data entery can omit the space and yet the space shows after they hit enter,
or not there after they hit enter? Does it matter? I have tried formatting
without the space through custom formatting and that does not seem to change
anything. (xl2000 on xp)


Excel date and time formats only alter how an entry is *displayed*. They have
no effect on how an entry is *entered*.

You will need a VB solution to do what you want; or you could use data
validation to ensure proper entries.


--ron

  #4   Report Post  
Old January 7th 05, 02:12 AM
Ron Rosenfeld
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:05:01 -0800, Mike R
wrote:

Thanks for your reply Ron I appreciate it. At least now I have the direction
that I need. Thanks again!!


Glad to help. Post back if you require anything more.


--ron


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Formating, paragraph marks, boxes etc, how do I get rid of them? Josh Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 27th 04 08:33 PM
conditional formating - Highlighting text cells based on sales res ANDREW_B Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 7 December 2nd 04 04:27 PM
HELP ME PLEASE!! CONDITIONAL FORMATING HIGHLIGHTING CELLS. ANDREW_B Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 2nd 04 04:12 PM
Formating stevieray Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 November 30th 04 11:30 PM
Formating a text string? METCO1 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 November 30th 04 06:31 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017