Junior Member

Default COUNTA for counting numerous text entries?

I'm working through a number of tasks on Excel training, and one of them is based on a sports club's membership database.

It asks you to count the number of female members who are also gold members (as opposed to silver, bronze).

The question tells you to use COUNTA specifically for the task, though every website i've consulted says that COUNTA is not used to count multiple criteria like this, and I thought I should be using COUNTIF instead?

Is the question right in telling me to use COUNTA?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Certainly not COUNTA and COUNTIF would not be my choice.

SUMPRODUCT would do the job.

M or F in Column A

G, S or B Column B

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A43="F")*(B1:B43="G"))