jeremy via OfficeKB.com

Default best fit line

I have a line graph with 6 series plotted (I.e. 6 different lines--sales on y,

months of x). How do i add a best fit line to the chart? When i select Add
Treanline, it only lets you select one series (and I'm assuming the result
you get is a linear y=mx+b line....i 'm looking for the best fit line for
serveral series...
Thanks.
jeremy

Nuraq

You cannot fit a trendline for more than one series... each series can have
its own. Your best bet is to put all your data into one series and then
draw an XY scatter plot to which you add the trendline.

"jeremy via OfficeKB.com" wrote in message
I have a line graph with 6 series plotted (I.e. 6 different lines--sales on
y,

months of x). How do i add a best fit line to the chart? When i select
Add
Treanline, it only lets you select one series (and I'm assuming the result
you get is a linear y=mx+b line....i 'm looking for the best fit line for
serveral series...
Thanks.
jeremy

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

jeremy via OfficeKB.com wrote:
I have a line graph with 6 series plotted (I.e. 6 different lines--sales on y,

months of x). How do i add a best fit line to the chart? When i select Add
Treanline, it only lets you select one series (and I'm assuming the result
you get is a linear y=mx+b line....i 'm looking for the best fit line for
serveral series...
Thanks.
jeremy

As Nuraq said, you've got to create one series to plot. However, if it's
important to you to see the several series you can create the joined series in
addition and make it display on the chart in some invisible color so that you
still see the original six series independently.

As for the "best fit" line -- it can be linear or one of the several other modes
that are presented in the menu for that function. You need to mouse down
through the panels a bit deeper when requesting the trend line to see the other
functions available.

Bill