Charles P. \(Pat\) Upshaw

Default Fill in missing months

I have a table containing periodic rates at monthly intervals from 1970.
Not all months have numbers, so I want those months rates to equal the
previous month's rate. How do I "fill in" these blanks?

Example:

01/1985 - 25.00
02/1985
03/1985
04/1985 - 29.25
05/1985
06/1985
07/1985 - 19.00
08/1985
09/1985

I have to do this over and over again, so I need a routine. I need for
02/1985 to equal 25.00; and 05/1985 to equal 29.25, etc.

Thanks,
Pat Upshaw

Myrna Larson

Select the column with the numbers. Then Edit/Goto, click the Special button
and select Blanks. The active cell will be one of the blanks. In that cell
type an equal sign (to start a formula), and point to the cell above. ExampleL
if cell B2 is active, the formula will end up as =B1. Then press CTRL+ENTER,
which will enter that formula in all of the blank cells. Then select all of
the filled cells in that column, Edit/Copy them, then Edit/Paste Special, and
select the Values option.

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:10:20 -0500, "Charles P. \(Pat\) Upshaw"
wrote:

I have a table containing periodic rates at monthly intervals from 1970.
Not all months have numbers, so I want those months rates to equal the
previous month's rate. How do I "fill in" these blanks?

Example:

01/1985 - 25.00
02/1985
03/1985
04/1985 - 29.25
05/1985
06/1985
07/1985 - 19.00
08/1985
09/1985

I have to do this over and over again, so I need a routine. I need for
02/1985 to equal 25.00; and 05/1985 to equal 29.25, etc.

Thanks,
Pat Upshaw

Ron Coderre

Try this:
1)Select from the first rate through the last blank cell you want to use.
2)EditGo To [Special . . .], Blanks, then Click [OK]
Leave the blank cells selected.
3)Type an equal sign (=) and press the up arrow one time.
4)Hold down the [Ctrl] key and press [Enter]

If you want all the rate cells to be hard-coded (instead of formulas):
Select the rate range, then EditCopy, followed by EditPaste SpecialValues

Does that help?

Ron
Charles P. \(Pat\) Upshaw

The easiest solution is to use a vlookup of the known values. I use the
fill procedure to establish all of the months. The known values are in
another table with the corresponding months. I use vlookup to find the
exact or previous value.

Sorry I made this sound more complicated than it was.

Thanks for the replies.

Pat Upshaw

"Charles P. (Pat) Upshaw" wrote in message
I have a table containing periodic rates at monthly intervals from 1970.
Not all months have numbers, so I want those months rates to equal the
previous month's rate. How do I "fill in" these blanks?

Example:

01/1985 - 25.00
02/1985
03/1985
04/1985 - 29.25
05/1985
06/1985
07/1985 - 19.00
08/1985
09/1985

I have to do this over and over again, so I need a routine. I need for
02/1985 to equal 25.00; and 05/1985 to equal 29.25, etc.

Thanks,
Pat Upshaw

Peo Sjoblom

How can it be easier to use formulas when you can do it in seconds using the
2 answers you got?

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)