Xanadude

Default 3-D formulas... can it work for text too?

Can the 3-D formula be used for finding text?
I'm trying to incorporate it into the =countif function, but I just get
errors.

Or is there another way to count the # of cells (1 per page) that have a
specific text in them? The cells are in the same position on all pages to be
looked at.

Jason Morin

Here's an example:

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&{"Sheet1","Sheet2 ","Sheet3"}&"'!A1"),"apple"))

Here I want a total count of the word "apple" appearing in A1 of Sheet1,
Sheet2, and Sheet3.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

"Xanadude" wrote:

Can the 3-D formula be used for finding text?
I'm trying to incorporate it into the =countif function, but I just get
errors.

Or is there another way to count the # of cells (1 per page) that have a
specific text in them? The cells are in the same position on all pages to be
looked at.

Xanadude

"Xanadude" wrote:

Can the 3-D formula be used for finding text?
I'm trying to incorporate it into the =countif function, but I just get
errors.

Or is there another way to count the # of cells (1 per page) that have a
specific text in them? The cells are in the same position on all pages to be
looked at.

Thanks, but I had already figured out another method of doing it. Since all
cells looked at will have the same text - it's just a matter if they have the
cell marked or not, I get the proper answer with the following:

=counta(Sheet1:Sheet3!A1)

The problem I was having was inserting a , (comma) into the formula after
the ! sign.

Why it doesn't tell me that when the error message pops up, I don't know.

That's what I get for working at 6:00 am LOL