Caroline Lackey

Default filter stopped working

I've been using the same filtered worksheet all day and it has filtered to my
chosen item in the drop down list. All of the sudden, when trying to go from
one filtered item to the next, the filtered list doesn't appear when I try
clicking on the triangle. No changes have been made to the workbook and
freeze panes isn't on. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it a bug? The
only way of getting them back on is to unfilter the entire area, unhide the
rows, which are stuck to the last filtered items, and then reapply filters.
Dave Peterson

Have you been deleting names from your workbook indiscriminately?

Maybe with code like this:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
Dim myName As Name
For Each myName In ActiveWorkbook.Names
myName.Delete
Next myName
End Sub

If yes, then you could have deleted a hidden name created by excel.

Maybe this'll help...

Select your cells with the arrows -- just the header row is enough.

Then Insert|name|Define
in the names in workbook box, type this:

'Sheet1'!_FilterDatabase

(change sheet1 to match your worksheet name.)

--

Dave Peterson
Caroline Lackey

Thanks very much Dave.

I did not have any names defined in this workbook and there is only one
sheet. I tried your suggestion anyway, but unfortunately it didn't work.
Once again, when I opened the workbook this morning, it's treating the most
recently saved filter as if I had hidden the rows. Once again, I have to
remove filters altogether, unhide the rows, then put filters back on.

I thought it might have something to do with Accessibility Options because I
was having a problem last week with "Sticky Keys". I had mistakenly turned
it on and was having a really difficult time trying to get it turned off -
even though it was showing up in Accessibility options as unticked. The only
way I could get it off was to go into Accessibility Options, turn it on, and
then turn it off again.

Caroline Lackey wrote:

I've been using the same filtered worksheet all day and it has filtered to my
chosen item in the drop down list. All of the sudden, when trying to go from
one filtered item to the next, the filtered list doesn't appear when I try
clicking on the triangle. No changes have been made to the workbook and
freeze panes isn't on. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it a bug? The
only way of getting them back on is to unfilter the entire area, unhide the
rows, which are stuck to the last filtered items, and then reapply filters.

--

Dave Peterson

Caroline Lackey

No, it didn't make the autofilter work, but because I was having so much
trouble with the Sticky keys, I wouldn't have been surprised if this somehow
affected the autofilters.