jeremy via OfficeKB.com

Default assign

How do I make every thin in a column that is not 4000 assigned the "0" and
every cell 4000 assigned the "1" (and ignoring the letters)?

column might look like

4002
AB009
4001ab
2004
0078
45

jeremy via OfficeKB.com

These are project numbers--some of them have letters in front and behind,
some don't. I need to assign all of the number into 5 categories....
Make sense?

Alan Beban

jeremy via OfficeKB.com wrote:
These are project numbers--some of them have letters in front and behind,
some don't. I need to assign all of the number into 5 categories....
Make sense?

No. The question was

"Are there always just 2 letters (or none)?"

Alan Beban
jeremy via OfficeKB.com

Sorry...it looks like always 2 letter (before or after). Another problem
is that ofter the number have an apostrophy (sp?) in front....

Michael

Hi Jereemy.
If you can use a helper column to first extract the numeric part of your
text before applying your test, the following site may be of use:
http://www.dicks-blog.com/archives/2...rmulas-part-1/
HTH
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"jeremy via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Sorry...it looks like always 2 letter (before or after). Another problem
is that ofter the number have an apostrophy (sp?) in front....

jeremy via OfficeKB.com

Michael

Thanks. I can use a helper column but I looked it over and tried to
understand but it might be too complicated for my limited excel knwledge.
I look at it again but i'm hoping there might be a simpler way.
Basically, I need to eliminate all the characters in the cell that aren't
numbers (letters and punctuation).

thanks.

Michael

Sorry about that Jeremy. I don't understand it myself. Maybe one of the
MVP's will come up with some VBA code for you.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin