Patience

Default smooth graph lines

I am using Office 2003 (Excel) to create a line graph representing daily
ranking. However, there are several dates for which values are not available.
Is it possible to have Excel put a flat line in place of the missing values,
connecting only the available data?

Thanks,
Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

Patience wrote:
I am using Office 2003 (Excel) to create a line graph representing daily
ranking. However, there are several dates for which values are not available.
Is it possible to have Excel put a flat line in place of the missing values,
connecting only the available data?

Thanks,

---------------------

A couple of observations:

1) If you do not include the missing dates in your X data, then the
chart will do what you want.

2) Depending on what you're doing, I also sometimes will put an
interpolation formula into the missing Y cells to fill in the missing
data. When doing that I also change the formatting to a colored
background so that the interpolated data points are obvious.

Good luck...

Bill
Dana DeLouis

Based on your subject line "smooth graph line", here is another option.
Use #N/A in place of your missing data.
Right click the line in your graph, and select "Format Data Series"
Select the "Patterns" tab, and check "Smoothed line"

HTH :)
--
Dana DeLouis
Win XP & Office 2003

"Patience" wrote in message
I am using Office 2003 (Excel) to create a line graph representing daily
ranking. However, there are several dates for which values are not
available.
Is it possible to have Excel put a flat line in place of the missing
values,
connecting only the available data?

Thanks,

Tushar Mehta

If the cells are truly empty (i.e., no formula that results in a zero
length string ""), selec the chart then Tools | Options... | Chart tab.
In there set 'Plot empty cells as' to 'Interpolated'

If you do have the "" string, replae it with the NA() function.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
I am using Office 2003 (Excel) to create a line graph representing daily
ranking. However, there are several dates for which values are not available.
Is it possible to have Excel put a flat line in place of the missing values,
connecting only the available data?

Thanks,

Sanna

I had the same problem, I wanted to distribute my values on the category (x)
axis evenly despite missing value points. #N/A works fine, but becomes quite
clumsy if I want to print the whole work-sheet. I tried to hide the rows
containing #N/A-values, but then the wanted effect dissapears in the chart.
Is there another way to plot data on a linear x-scale in excel?

Best regards,
Sanna