Madhu Ramamurthy

Default Database on Excel

Hi All,

Objective : To create an excel database which should allow updation by
multiple users at the same time in a networked environment.

Please let me know how this can be done.

Thanks,
Madhu

Jan Karel Pieterse

Hi Madhu,

Objective : To create an excel database which should allow updation by
multiple users at the same time in a networked environment.

Please let me know how this can be done.

I'd recommend to do this in Access, not Excel. The only reliable way to
use Excel for this is when you use Excel as the front-end and in the
back an Access database to store the data. But that isn't easier than
using Access from start.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com

TomHinkle

You can go to the data menu, then choose share workbook. This will allow
multiple users to update the workbook.

BUT I agree with the other response.. make an access db/form.. The shared
workbook functionality IS available, but somewhat limited (also limits the
workbook somewhat, you can't edit macros in a shared workbook, sometimes have
contention issues because the updating is never 'real time' excel constantly
checks the open instances and updates according to what ever rules you choose)

"Madhu Ramamurthy" wrote:

Hi All,

Objective : To create an excel database which should allow updation by
multiple users at the same time in a networked environment.

Please let me know how this can be done.

Thanks,
Madhu

CyberTaz

Another reason to consider Access is the relational nature of the data. If
you're dealing with a simple list of records Excel may get the job done
satisfactorily as described in the other posts. It is _not_ a relational DB
environment, so more complex data will be a problem from the start.

Good Luck |:)