ynissel

Default rounding

is there a function I can write to check if a different cell is rounded to the
nearest 1/8th or can I make validation make sure the cell is entered to an
1/8th

N Harkawat

go to data-- validation--Custom
and enter the following
=MOD(A1,0.125)=0
Now any time you enter values in cell A1 that is not a 1/8 it will give an
error message

Or if you want a function to check
=if(mod(a1,0.125)<0,"Not 1/8th","1/8th")

"ynissel" wrote in message
is there a function I can write to check if a different cell is rounded to
the
nearest 1/8th or can I make validation make sure the cell is entered to an
1/8th

JE McGimpsey

Please don't repost messages. If you can't find your previous message,
take a look in the archives:

http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...ugroup=*excel*

for your earlier post, see

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...misc/browse_fr
m/thread/d6131d350853a463/91e1c37c0c7a573b

In article ,
"ynissel" wrote:

is there a function I can write to check if a different cell is rounded to
the
nearest 1/8th or can I make validation make sure the cell is entered to an
1/8th

Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 13:56:07 -0700, "ynissel"
wrote:

Sorry I wasnt clear - I dont mean exactly 1/8 I mean rounded to an 1/8 (ie,
.125,.25,.375 etc...)

What, exactly, did the recommended formula DO when you tried it?

It seems to work fine, here.

You did try it first, didn't you?

--ron
ynissel

yes I did :-)
It only allowed a value of exactly .125 !
I want to check if its rounded to the nearest 1/8th
Thanks

wrote:

Sorry I wasnt clear - I dont mean exactly 1/8 I mean rounded to an 1/8 (ie,
.125,.25,.375 etc...)

What, exactly, did the recommended formula DO when you tried it?

It seems to work fine, here.

You did try it first, didn't you?

--ron

ynissel

I got it to work using =IF(FLOOR(B4,0.00125)=B4,"rounded properly","not
rounded to 1/8") but For some reason I cant get get it to work inconditional
formatting - this is what I wrote.
="FLOOR(B4,0.00125)=B4"

wrote:

Sorry I wasnt clear - I dont mean exactly 1/8 I mean rounded to an 1/8 (ie,
.125,.25,.375 etc...)

What, exactly, did the recommended formula DO when you tried it?

It seems to work fine, here.

You did try it first, didn't you?

--ron

Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 08:45:23 -0700, "ynissel"
wrote:

I got it to work using =IF(FLOOR(B4,0.00125)=B4,"rounded properly","not
rounded to 1/8") but For some reason I cant get get it to work inconditional
formatting - this is what I wrote.
="FLOOR(B4,0.00125)=B4"

Are you certain you are wanting the number to be rounded to the nearest 1/8 and
not to the nearest 1/8% ?????

Also, your formula would seem to only work if your value was rounded DOWN and
not rounded to the nearest (i.e. down if less than 1/2 way between, up if 1/2
way between or more).

Using your formula, and a value of 1.3 in B4, which is clearly not rounded to
the nearest 1/8th, I get a result of "rounded properly".

Once we have this straightened out, getting the CF formula to work will be
trivial.

--ron