HarCo

Default How can see data as-is ('0123' and not '123') when open excel file

When I open a csv file in excel any preceding '0' will disapear. How can I
see the data exactly as it is in the csv\text file? (e.g. if my data contain
telephone numbers with area code that has preceding '0' it will be removed).
Peter Jausovec

CVS file doesn't inlcude information about formatting. So eventhough if you
change the cell formatting to text and enter e.g. 000555555 the leading zeros
will be lost. The workaround is to write the phone no. maybe like this (000)
555-555 or enter some char before the zeros.

--
http://blog.jausovec.net

"HarCo" je napisal:

When I open a csv file in excel any preceding '0' will disapear. How can I
see the data exactly as it is in the csv\text file? (e.g. if my data contain
telephone numbers with area code that has preceding '0' it will be removed).

Gary Brown

Change the file name of the csv file from xyz.csv to xyz.txt. When you
open this in Excel it should fire off the text import wizard, in one of
the 3 stages you can define the column types, for your column with text
that has leading zero, define the column type as text and this should
solve your problem.

--
Gary Brown
Gary Brown's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17084

Dave Peterson

Rename your .csv file to .txt.

Then when you open the .txt file, you'll get the import wizard where you can
specify the format of each field--including Text for this field.

HarCo wrote:

When I open a csv file in excel any preceding '0' will disapear. How can I
see the data exactly as it is in the csv\text file? (e.g. if my data contain
telephone numbers with area code that has preceding '0' it will be removed).

--

Dave Peterson
Dare

You can solve this problem if you type a character ' in front of zero i. e.
'0123 shovs 0123